Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
We are currently seeking an experienced, collaborative and creative Editor & Copywriter capable of producing compelling and engaging storytelling about our brand, programs and initiatives. If you are a skilled communicator, enjoy working with other creatives, thrive in a busy and dynamic work environment, we would love to hear from you!
Position Title: Editor & Copywriter
Reporting to: Marketing Manager
Type of Employment: Full Time
Summary of Function:
This role is responsible for developing effective and compelling writing and storytelling that will engage visitors and audiences with the Harbourfront Centre brand and programming initiatives across all channels and platforms. The role requires advanced copywriting and editing that supports marketing, PR, and programming objectives with creative copy for direct mail, email and social media, website and other PR/marketing assets, as well as writing and editing corporate communications. Working alongside marketers, digital communication and social media specialists, artistic producers, and education specialists, this position relies on relationship building and collaboration to discover storylines and creative distribution strategies to promote Harbourfront Centre’s programming and contribute to the growth of its audiences.
- Effectively manage deliverables in a deadline-driven environment to meet tight deadlines.
- Manage and follow workflow process including internal circulations, revisions, approvals, and sign-offs.
Writing, Editing & Proofreading
- Serve as editor-in-chief for all marketing and organizational content to ensure quality, clarity and consistency.
- Set copy standards across Harbourfront’s multiple channels.
- Maintain a high standard for accuracy in all communications.
- Collaborate with marketing, digital and creative teams to edit and build compelling stories and impressive communications.
- Write copy for multi-channel campaigns adjusting messaging to the platform and audience, including website, brochures, print ads, paid digital ads, emails and social media.
- Edit copy received from various sources for brand alignment, accuracy of grammar, punctuation, formatting and style.
Skills & Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism or similar writing-intensive programs.
- Five (5) years of editing and copywriting experience.
- Exceptional grammar, writing, copyediting, and proofreading skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail with excellent written and verbal communication and organization skills.
- Experience writing and developing content for advertising (print, radio, and digital platforms), on-site copy, promotional and editorial content.
- Comprehensive understanding of tone of voice and ability to adapt to a multitude of programs, audiences and brands.
- A work ethic and ability to produce a large amount of high-quality content in many different verticals, from Facebook ads to longer-form editorial for programs and brochures.
- Outstanding ability to plan, organize, and execute multiple projects simultaneously, while meeting deadlines.
- A team player who enjoys and excels in collaborating with colleagues.
- This position is based in Toronto. Currently remote work is in place, however working on-site at our downtown lakeside campus will be required when we implement our Return to Work plan.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Non-Canadian applicants must have a valid employment Visa and proper documentation authorizing their ability to work in Canada.
- Experience working in the arts and culture sector.
- A passion for the arts.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends when required.
How To Apply:
Harbourfront Centre values and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in our teams, creative communities, programmes and services. We invite qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply. Acceptable applications must include:
1. A cover letter including salary expectations and addressing the Essential Criteria
2. A current CV
3. Three (3) examples of your best writing. Suggested examples include: (1) ad copy; (2) email newsletter; and (3) longer form editorial style copy.
Qualified applicants can submit their candidacy by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than August 2, 2021. Please quote Editor & Copywriter in the subject line of the application.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Suitable accomodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.