The Art Dealer’s Association of Canada (ADAC) is looking for a full-time Appraisal Coordinator. Reporting to the Board of Directors and Executive Director, the Appraisal Coordinator will facilitate and coordinate all aspects of the ADAC Appraisal Service and act as the primary contact for institutions, appraisers, the ADAC Appraisal Committee and the Canadian Cultural Property Review Board (CCPERB). The Appraisal Coordinator will also assist the Executive Director in coordinating ADAC events and activities and various administrative tasks as required. Often working to a tight deadline, this position may involve overtime when necessary.
Fine art appraisal coordination:
- Receive appraisal applications from institutions, ensuring the application is complete and rectifying any discrepancies or gaps in information;
- Input details of donated works
- Maintain all correspondence and material in electronic files;
- Source appropriate appraisers from ADAC membership or beyond including negotiating fees;
- Liaise with institutions and appraisers throughout the appraisal process;
- Create internal schedule for appraisal process and completion; working with appraisers to meet quarterly deadlines;
- Assist in obtaining sales information for appraisers and Appraisal Committee when necessary;
- Rectify any discrepancies in values or other details, ensuring appraisals meet CCPERB standards;
- Arrange and facilitate Appraisal Committee meetings including creating agenda;
- Liaise with Appraisal Committee members throughout the appraisal review process;
- Prepare final written report, obtain sign-off and dispatch to institution via courier or electronic means;
- Facilitate appraisal reassessments or reviews requested by institutions or CCPERB;
- Maintain up-to-date list and contact information of clients and appraisers;
- Periodical review of processes and flag any inefficiencies;
- Promote and represent ADAC and the Appraisal Service at industry conferences and meetings;
- Assist in creating a marketing plan for the ADAC Appraisal Service;
- Annual outreach letters and initiatives to client institutions
- Willingness and interested in staying informed on best practices and changes in the industry through professional development.
- Work closely with Executive Director and Finance in preparing and distributing appraisal invoices
Administration and Communication:
- Assist with telephone and email inquiries from the general public regarding appraisals of artwork, donation, purchase, artist representation, etc.;
- Telephone and email correspondence with prospective and current members on various enquiries such as membership benefits, requirements, application procedures and ADAC activities and policy;
- Assist Executive Director with daily tasks of the Association;
- Assist Executive Director with the organization of communications and meetings of ADAC Board of Directors and Committees;
- Assist Executive Director with annual member invoicing
- Record minutes of Board meetings and the Annual General Meeting.
- Social media and newsletter assistance
- Update ADAC website with member information
- Assist with the coordination of and participation in ADAC events and activities, including the Annual General Meeting, art fairs, seminars, conferences, and any other activities;
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrated knowledge and interest in the Canadian art market, including commercial art galleries, auction industry
- Understanding of appraisal best practices and methodology. Completion of International Society of Appraisers Core Course in Appraisal Studies and USPAP standards or equivalent a strong asset;
- Knowledge of the Cultural Property Export and Import Act and the Canadian Cultural Property Export Review Board;
- Demonstrated experience with databases and information management; Superior attention to detail;
- A solid general knowledge of Canadian and international fine art, both contemporary and historical;
- Ability to work independently and take initiative;
- Strong time management and organisation, demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent editing skills;
- Proficiency in programs such as MS Office suite, Dropbox, etc.
- Bilingualism is an asset.