The Toronto International Festival of Authors (TIFA) at Harbourfront Centre inspires and empowers book lovers with a breadth of bold, ambitious and accessible literary experiences. As Canada’s largest literary festival, the charitable organization provides engaging opportunities to meet, hear and learn from the world’s best contemporary writers and thinkers, and to celebrate the power of stories. Since 1974, TIFA has presented over 9,500 authors, including 22 Nobel Laureates, who represent diverse perspectives and a range of literary genres for all ages. TIFA’s creative programmes continue to adapt to changing times, capturing the most innovative and enlightening forms of storytelling, on stage and online. Alongside the flagship Festival, TIFA delivers a year-round programme of events and activities that reflect Toronto to its residents, its literature to the nation, and its creative ambition to the world. TIFA will celebrate the 42nd edition of the Festival on October 20–31, 2021.
We are currently seeking a collaborative Finance & Administrative Coordinator with strong organizational and time management abilities, an impeccable eye for details, and a positive and professional demeanor to support TIFA’s day-to-day financial and administration operations, including patrons and supporters assistance.
Position Title: Finance & Administrative Coordinator
Department: Toronto International Festival of Authors (TIFA)
Reporting to: TIFA Deputy Director
Type of Employment: Contract ( 12 months) with a start date of February/March 20221
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Job Location: Toronto
Summary of Function
The Finance & Administrative Coordinator is responsible for providing support to help ensure the efficient operation of the TIFA office, its day-to-day financial and administration operations, as well as Patrons and Supporters administration and Tessitura database upkeep. This role works closely with Harbourfront Centre’s finance department to effectively deliver immediate financing or bookkeeping concerns. Key areas of focus are preparing and reconciling TIFA’s finances, maintaining and tracking budgets, securely processing invoices, fees and payments including authors and invited guests’ honorariums for various events throughout the year, plus assisting the TIFA teamdepartments with timely and accurate reporting as required.
- Prepare and issue cheque requisitions for daily expenses and authors honouraria/fees.
- Process deposits, import payments into Tessitura, send revenue reports to finance department.
- Request invoices from Harbourfront Centre’s finance department.
- Maintain and track budgets, year-end, invoices, deposits, reconciliations and cheque requisitions.
- Prepare cash advance and credit card reconciliations.
- Work with Director and Deputy Director to prepare cost analysis of Festival and fiscal year-end.
- Assist Deputy Director with year-end finance activities.
- Assist Deputy Director with maintaining financial records, prepare reports, budgeting, analysis, monitor and reconcile department budget, maintain and develop tools or models for budget tracking of programmes.
- Assist the Development Coordinator with financial reporting.
- Work with the Development Coordinator to create tools to monitor cash flow for existing grants.
- Process donations from donors, members and patrons.
- Ensure patron and individual giving activity is tracked in Tessitura.
- Provide Director and Deputy Director with revenue reports for individual donations, memberships and sponsorships.
- Issue and track charitable tax receipts.
- Work with Event Coordinators to obtain payment information from authors and resolve payment issues.
- Work digital and physical events as required.
- Assist the Director and Deputy Director in cooperation with the Executive Coordinator as required including administrative support.
- Assist Deputy Director and Executive Coordinator with IRAH Board matters, including prepare finances for Board meetings.
- Perform routine administrative and clerical activities including responding to general email inquiries, providing and monitoring invoices, and monitoring incoming and outgoing mail.
- Serve as one of the Tessitura “Power Users” for the TIFA department.
- Attend monthly Tessitura Committee meetings.
- Maintain database, pull reports and lists, update records, merge duplicates, etc.
- Develop and implement campaign, membership and financial structures.
- Rebuild new campaigns each fiscal year.
- Create new constituents as needed.
Skills & Requirements
- Post-Secondary degree.
- Strong understanding of financial concepts.
- Strong organizational skills and impeccable attention to detail.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office and database management.
- Strong knowledge of Excel.
- Demonstrated use of tact and diplomacy, and ability to work in a cross-functional team setting.
- Polished and professional demeanor and ability to interact with authors, partners, prospects, donors, staff and volunteers.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work to deadline with composure.
- The incumbent must be available to work evenings and weekends during the 11-day Festival every fall and during occasional year-round events.
- Experience with Tessitura and/or with booking is considered an asset.
- Finance background is desireable.
- Experience in arts management or the not-for-profit sector is an asset.
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada. All international applicants must have a valid employment Visa authorizing their ability to work in Canada on a full-time, ongoing basis.
- This role is based in Toronto. Remote work from home is currently in place, however when a return-to-work directive is communicated, the candidate must be able to work on site at our downtown lakeside campus.
- TIFA and Harbourfront Centre recognize their heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
At TIFA we are committed to diversity and inclusiveness. We encourage qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply and we welcome applications from individuals who identify as belonging to equity priority groups. Suitable accommodations will be available upon request during the hiring process.
Acceptable applications must include a current resume plus a cover letter indicating how you meet the essential criteria of the position, as well as your salary expectations.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by contacting email@example.com by no later than January 31, 2022. Please quote Finance & Administrative Coordinator (TIFA) in the subject line of your application. We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.