Inanna Publications, housed at York University, is a non-profit, independent feminist press committed to publishing fiction, poetry, and creative non-fiction by and about women. Our books bring new, innovative and diverse perspectives which can change and enhance the lives of women everywhere. Our aim is to preserve a publishing space dedicated to feminist voices that provoke discussion, advance feminist thought, and speak to the diverse lives of women.
We are looking for someone who has a minimum of five-years experience, a team player, has a demonstrated passion for books by and about women and pays keen attention to detail. Duties are related to all aspects of our publishing program for Inanna Publications and Education Inc.
What You’ll be Doing
Reporting to and working closely with the Board of Directors, the Managing Editor is responsible for planning and overseeing all activities necessary to develop and execute Inanna’s editorial programs, to meet the strategic and financial goals of the company’s publishing program, while also acquiring and editing books as required.
In addition to editing skills, managing editors are all-round leaders who must also keep in mind budgets, industry trends, sales and marketing.
The successful candidate will meet the following qualifications:
• Undergraduate degree in English, Publishing, Creative Writing, Journal-ism or related field; or unrelated undergraduate degree plus graduate cer-tificate/diploma in publishing or related field along with five years of ex-perience (equivalency will be considered).
• A minimum of five years of progressive experience in publishing, with an emphasis on editorial and production management and budgeting.
• Thorough knowledge of editorial procedures and processes in both print and digital publishing.
• Solid organizational, managerial, and leadership skills, including leading a team, coaching, and goal setting.
• Skilled in collaboration and relationship-building with creators, stake-holders and others in the publishing community.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe products.
This is a full-time permanent position. It will require a combination of remote and in-person work at our offices at York University (when the university has fully opened).
This is a position that will require travel when it is safe to do so.
Some lifting of heavy boxes will be required.
We strongly encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds including ancestry, culture, ethnicity, gender identity, gender expression, language, physical and intellectual ability, race, religion (creed), sexual orientation and socio-economic status to apply.
Application Deadline: June 13, 2022
To apply, send cover letter and résumé to email@example.com. Please include your salary expectations.
We thank all candidates for applying, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.