Call for Applications
Chester Playhouse General Manager
The Chester Playhouse is a year-round, iconic performing arts venue located in Chester, NS, known for showcasing established and emerging professional musicians and theatre, presenting movies and independent films, and welcoming youth and community talent to the stage.
The Playhouse is highly integrated with the local hospitality and tourism economy, presenting 85-90 events per year with 7,000 patron visits. Audience members, many of whom travel to events from across the broader region, enjoy services in Chester before or after performances.
This historic 82-year old building with 172-seats is currently undergoing a million dollar plus restoration and will reopen in June, 2021. This project will upgrade all performance features and will improve patron accessibility. Please refer to www.chesterplayhouse.ca for additional details.
The restraints on public gatherings brought about by Covid 19 have provided time for reflection. While we are proud of all that we have achieved in the past, we are taking time to consider what we will continue to do, what we might change, and what we might initiate as new activities.
The Chester Playhouse is owned and operated by the Chester Theatre Council Society and governed by a Board of Directors.
The Chester Playhouse is seeking a dynamic General Manager (GM) to oversee all aspects of the planning, management, programming and development of the Chester Playhouse. Reporting to the Playhouse Board, the GM is responsible for a wide range of operations that ensure both the stability and strategic growth of the Chester Playhouse. The General Manager reports to the Board of Directors, and is the face of the Playhouse in the community.
The GM is supported by a team of part time and contract staff, plus engaged Board Committees.
This is a full-time position. Its intensity fluctuates during the year and requires flexibility with respect to some evenings and weekends. The preferred start date is March, 2021.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
The GM is responsible for the following:
- Participate in the development and execution of both short and long-term strategic planning to advance the Playhouse’s mission.
Office Administration and Financial Management
- Prepare and monitor the operating budget and cash flow projections.
- Coordinate and manage day-to-day office administration and financial activities; including overseeing bookkeeping and accounting systems.
- Identify and manage all grant applications
- Provide regular reports to the Board and support Board Committees
Human Resource Management
- Hire and supervise key staff functions: Artistic Programming, Front of House, Technical Direction, Marketing & Communications and Bookkeeping
- Develop and recommend an organizational model of full-time, part-time and outsourced services to ensure an optimal balance of functions within a budget envelope. (Currently all staff roles, with the exception of the GM, are part-time)
- Develop and manage contracts with self-employed and outsourced contractors
- Identify opportunities to hire co-op students
Performances & Events Management
- In collaboration with the Programming/Artistic Director and other team members, determine and oversee the mix and schedule of performances and other uses of the Playhouse
- Negotiate and manage performance contracts, bookings and rentals
- Collaborate with others in the production of Playhouse-originated events
Marketing & Communications
- Devise and implement a marketing plan to effectively use the website, the newsletter, social media channels, press releases, online and direct advertising, and all promotional materials.
- Represent the Playhouse in the community
- Maintain and develop positive and collaborative links with a wide variety of community and organizational stakeholders in the local area
- Engage volunteers and coordinate their efforts
- Participate in the development of an annual fundraising plan including individual donor campaigns and sponsorship.
- Ensure ongoing stewardship of donors and sponsors
- Plan and oversee special fundraising events
- Monitor building operations and schedule repairs as necessary
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE IS:
- deeply committed to the importance of arts and culture within a community and aware of current trends and challenges in the sector
- experienced in the world of performing arts and/or project and events management
- highly motivated, resourceful and entrepreneurial.
- a proven leader with strong communication skills
- proficient in marketing and social media
- experienced with elements of financial management and respectful of detail
- highly computer literate
- able to work under pressure and make decisions, both independently and collaboratively
- comfortable as a spokesperson; promoter
- familiar with theatre operations and building maintenance
The General Manager will preferably be located within the Municipality of Chester to ensure convenient access to the theatre and to appreciate the role of the Playhouse as a hub in the community.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and will be in the $52,000-$62,000 range.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter of interest to the Search Committee at email@example.com
Please use this opportunity to share something about yourself that may not be evident from your resume alone.
The deadline for applications is November 30, 2020.