Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre is located on Treaty One Territory in Winnipeg, MB., and exists to celebrate the widest spectrum of theatre art. Deeply rooted in the province of Manitoba, which gave it life and provides for its growth, Royal MTC aspires to both reflect and engage the community it serves. As Canada’s oldest regional theatre, Royal MTC produces ten plays at two venues as well as the Winnipeg Fringe Theatre Festival, The Bridge Festival of Ideas and an annual regional tour. www.royalmtc.ca
We seek a Producer to join the collaborative and close-knit Artistic Team at Royal MTC. Reporting to the Artistic Director, the successful candidate will be heavily involved in season planning, and be responsible for all aspects of artistic administration, including contract negotiation for productions and play development.
The ideal candidate is engaged and accessible, can effectively juggle and prioritize the many moving pieces of this role, has the ability to anticipate and resolve problems in a timely manner, is an emotionally intelligent relationship builder, and a lover of live theatre.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages artistic operations to support excellence and operational efficiency
- Manages contract negotiation, creation, compliance, and execution of artistic contracts for actors, directors, choreographers, music directors, fight directors and dialect coaches, and any artistic support staff, including cultural competency support
- Manages co-production contracts, adherence, and payments
- Manages literary and production rights contracts, licenses, compliance, commissions, and payments
- Builds and fosters relationships with agents, rightsholders, producers and artists, locally, nationally and internationally
- Oversees health, safety and wellness of artistic personnel and operations
- Assists the Artistic Director with general season planning
- Liaises with marketing, development, education and outreach to support the engagement of artists for ancillary events, and to ensure billing accuracy in all digital and print materials
- Oversees onboarding, travel and accommodations, and other logistical elements for artistic personnel
- Supervises the work of volunteer archivists and librarian, and is the contact for Royal MTC’s archives (held at the provincial archives)
- Publicly represents Royal MTC at events
- In collaboration with the Associate Artistic Director and Artistic Director, develops and administers play development budgets, including budgets for artistic personnel
- Manages artist payroll and payments for activities across the organization, working in collaboration with the Controller
- Assists with the management of production budgets in collaboration with the Director of Production
Union Liaison and Compliance
- Liaises with, and manages compliance of Collective Bargaining Agreements of various unions and associations, including the Professional Association of Canadian Theatres (PACT), the Canadian Actors’ Equity Association (CAEA), the Playwrights Guild of Canada (PGC) and the Alliance of Canadian Cinema, Television and Radio Artists (ACTRA) and others as appropriate
- Supports artistic compliance for all relevant activities with International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE)
- A minimum of five (5) years of theatre, film, television, radio or other related production experience
- Experience with contract negotiation, execution and compliance
- Proven ability to manage artistic and production budgets
- Alignment with Royal MTC’s values and commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
- Appreciation of arts and culture; passion for theatre is considered an asset
- Proven attention to detail and organization skills
- Ability to build and foster relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Must have the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Excellent communication and proactive problem-solving skills
- A strong understanding of the Canadian Theatre Agreement (CTA) is an asset
In addition to this position being a great opportunity for anyone with a passion for theatre, Royal MTC offers a collaborative and fast-paced working environment, a salary of $70,000 - $80,000 depending on qualifications and experience, and a comprehensive benefits package. A long distance relocation allowance will be provided for a successful candidate who is required to move for the position.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to Rachel Weessies, Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 19th.
As demonstrated by our Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Anti-Racism Commitment to Action, Royal MTC is on a deliberate and strategic path to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and becoming an anti-racist organization. We desire to attract a workforce that reflects and shares these values. Recognizing the history of underrepresentation of Indigenous, Black, and people of colour (IBPOC) leadership positions in our company, we will prioritize qualified individuals who self-identify as IBPOC.
We are committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and will work with all applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of our process. If you require additional accommodations, please email email@example.com.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.