Dusk Dances is inviting applications for a Lead Curator to program its 2022 season, to be presented at Withrow Park in Toronto from August 6 - 14, 2022.
The position will be part-time, from February 21 to September 16, 2022
Send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dusk Dances is seeking a Lead Curator to program its 2022 season in Withrow Park. Throughout the contract, the Lead Curator will engage in conversations about programming dance works, and the curation of outdoor dance events, alongside Festival Director Sylvie Bouchard, and Michael Caldwell, who curated Dusk Dances in 2018. This project is the pilot phase of an initiative that Dusk Dances plans to implement in 2023 and beyond, to widen conversations about dance curation and to offer opportunities to those who are interested in curating and programming dance.
For this 2022 contract, only applicants from Toronto and the GTA will be considered. No accommodation or per-diem will be provided.
Dusk Dances welcomes and will prioritize hiring a Lead Curator who self-identifies as being part of underrepresented groups including IBPOC, 2SLGBTQIA+, disabled, and/or any other minority.
Sylvie Bouchard, Michael Caldwell, and the Lead Curator will work together to implement Dusk Dance’s JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion) policies.
NOTE: The Lead Curator will program three dance works, the fourth piece is a commissioned work that has been in development since 2020 and we look forward to finally presenting this work to a live audience.
- applicants must have at least 3 years of experience with dance (as an artist or other affiliated work);
- experience in curating dance is an asset but is not necessary;
- applicants must be able to legally work in Canada.
*Dusk Dances will not accept proposals from students currently enrolled in a post-secondary college, university, or conservatory institution.
* Decisions will be made by February 18, 2022.
IN ORDER TO APPLY, PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION
- contact information (name, address, phone, email, website);
- a biography (maximum 350 words), which includes information about your experience with dance, and with curation;
- a C.V.;
- a letter of interest describing why you are interested in this position, the reasons why you are a suitable candidate, and what you would bring to conversations about programming dance, and about curating outdoor dance events;
- your overall availability during the contract, i.e. times when you might be away, or unavailable.
NOTE: Video and/or audio applications are welcome.
DUSK DANCES WILL PROVIDE
- a fee of $7,000 CAD (if additional funding received, the fee might be increased);
- ongoing programming and curatorial conversations and administrative support throughout the contract;
- a list of all the choreographers who have proposed works for Dusk Dances’ 2022 season and access to all artistic proposals and material;
- all logistics for the festival including the venue;
- technical personnel and equipment (including microphones and sound systems);
- marketing and publicity (posters, postcards, newsletters, social media, house programs).
NOTE: As part of this contract, the Lead Curator will be able to also reach out to, and consider, choreographers who have not sent a proposal to Dusk Dances.
HOW TO APPLY
Kindly send your application to Marketa Tokova at email@example.com (with “Call for Lead Curator 2022” in the subject line) by February 13, 2022, at 11:59pm. Applications must be submitted as one (1) PDF file.
If you need accommodations to make this application happen, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org, and a staff member will be able to support you through the application process via email, phone call, and/or video chat.
All applicants will be contacted.