The Great Canadian Theatre Company (GCTC) in Ottawa, Ontario, is seeking a dynamic Events and Rentals Manager to join our team. For 37 years, GCTC has been dedicated to fostering, producing, and promoting excellent, professional Canadian Theatre that provokes the examination of contemporary life and our place in the world. GCTC is a centre for Ottawa’s arts community with 2800 subscribers, 11,000 single-ticket purchasers, and 150 volunteers. With over 80 world premieres of new Canadian works in our history, GCTC is respected across Canada for innovative, high quality artistic programming and is known for its development of new Canadian works. Within its new home the Irving Greenberg Theatre Centre, is the 262 seat Irving Greenberg Theatre and a black box Studio theatre with flexible seating for 75+. GCTC is operational year round and produces a winter subscription series on the main stage from September to June, offers theatrical and event rentals, and conducts an arts education program.
The Events and Rentals Manager’s primary responsibilities are broken up into 3 main functions;
1. Events and Rentals:
- Facilitate private and corporate rentals, catering to the client needs. Understanding the needs of the client and planning the event based on their requirements is fundamental. Requirements may include; arranging for catering, entertainment, equipment (projection, lighting, sound, video, staging), scheduling and supervision of staff/volunteers, promotion, décor, facility security and budgeting.
- Plan and organize GCTC internal corporate events and GCTC department events for both the Development and Community Outreach Departments. In addition to the aforementioned requirements, departmental events will require collaboration between departments, with a stronger focus on budgeting and acquiring In-Kind donations of food/equipment/prizes etc.
- Work with the Production department to meet all of the union house regulations when technical requirements are present for any type of event or rental. Provide advance notice of tech requirements to ensure proper staff scheduling.
2. Bar Management:
- Manage all aspect of the operation of the 2 on-site satellite bars, including: staffing, sales, inventory controls, purchasing, stocking, record keeping, daily float reconciliation.
- Ensure ACGO standards are adhered to.
- Hire and train new staff as needed.
3. Sponsorship/Donation (In Kind) Management:
- Maintain existing relationships with sponsors that provide In-Kind donations. (items such as linens, flowers, catering, equipment)
- Identify and develop new relationships for In-Kind donations/sponsorships, with a focus on how we can reciprocate the sponsor’s donation with value added services of our own.
- Secure In-Kind catering for a minimum of 12 events per year
The position requires a high level of organizational and planning expertise, strong communication skills, the ability to work under pressure, balancing of multiple responsibilities and events, problem solving and the ability to make last minute decisions. The successful candidate will possess the skills and qualifications listed below:
- Previous experience and/or education in event and/or project management
- Previous experience in managing staff and/or volunteers
- Previous experience in revenue generation and budget management
- Proven track record meeting and adhering to tight deadlines.
- High level of computer proficiency & exceptional proofreading skills
- Experience in or knowledge of the practice of theatre and the performing arts.
- Experience in or knowledge of the function of a not-for-profit organization and business model.
- Experience in or knowledge of working in unionized spaces and applicable guidelines.
- Experience in or knowledge of catering and best practices
- Experience in or knowledge of basic technical requirements for lighting, sound & projections
- Valid driver’s license and a vehicle and valid first aid certification.
- You are an energetic, resourceful, unflappable, self-starter with a reputation for getting things done.
- You are a highly organized individual, with the ability to successfully prioritize and complete multiple tasks and deliverables on overlapping short-and long-term timetables
- You pay close attention to details, ensuring accuracy and efficiency
- You are a skilful communicator, in person and in writing, and one who is able to represent the Company to its clients and the public and work effectively with all levels of staff and volunteers
- You thrive in a busy environment and your positive outlook with be an asset to our team.
- You must be able to work varying hours, including evenings and weekends on a regular basis.
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume complete with salary expectations, references, and availability by August 16th, 2013 to: Nancy Oakley, General Manager, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants, however, please note that only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you.