Reporting to the Executive Director, the Community Cultural Officer is responsible for facilitating and implementing community-wide engagement to advance Whistler’s community cultural development, cultural tourism initiatives, and community and economic development initiatives related to the arts, culture and heritage (ACH) sector as identified in Whistler’s Community Cultural Plan (WCP) and Whistler’s Cultural Tourism Development Strategy (CTDS).
The Community Cultural Officer will provide leadership within Whistler’s ACH community and will work closely with Whistler’s cultural institutions, cultural task forces, business community, as well as Tourism Whistler, municipal staff, and the public to develop and facilitate specific cultural initiatives.
More specifically, the Community Cultural Officer will:
- Initiate and facilitate consultative meetings with Whistler’s ACH sector, business community, Resort Municipality of Whistler (RMOW) staff, Tourism Whistler and other key stakeholders in Whistler and the region.
- Review other key planning reports – Whistler’s Economic Partnership Initiative (EPI) report, Whistler’s Education & Learning report, and Whistler’s Recreation and Leisure Master Plan – to identify and assess synergies with WCP and CTDS and ensure alignment with ACH related initiatives.
- Meet with RMOW departments to ensure that ACH initiatives are understood, aligned and integrated into municipal plans.
- Establish priorities for recommendations identified in the WCP and CTDS.
- Develop an implementation strategy for recommendations identified in the WCP and CTDS.
- Develop communication and planning processes and protocol to ensure communication between municipal departments, the ACH community, and cultural tourism task forces.
- Develop and implement a community engagement strategy and plan to assist with the delivery of recommendations contained in WCP and CTDS.
- Prepare and manage budgets on a range of initiatives.
- Research, develop and complete or assist in completing federal, provincial or municipal funding applications or RFP proposals for eligible initiatives that support objectives of the WCP and CTDS; e.g. broad initiatives involving multiple organizations such as Cultural Capitals of Canada.
- Identify and initiate actions to increase growth of ACH and/or cultural tourism initiatives in Whistler affecting the broader health and economy of Whistler.
- At least ten years management and leadership experience.
- Demonstrated involvement in and knowledge of the ACH sector.
- Demonstrated understanding of cultural tourism.
- Experience in planning and implementing successful community-wide programs.
- University graduate or equivalent experience.
- Management Skills; proven ability to:
- Facilitate meetings with stakeholders from diverse sectors representing a range of interests.
- Prepare, administer, and monitor budgets.
- Write grants, proposals, and reports.
- Intellectual Skills; proven ability to:
- Address complex situations that require decision-making skills.
- Gather information, present findings, and provide perspective in a clear and concise manner, both in a written format and through verbal presentations.
- Understand municipal planning policies and process.
- Exercise independent initiative.
- Interpersonal Skills; proven ability to:
- Work effectively with task forces, committees, boards and volunteers.
- Establish a collaborative environment and motivate individuals to assume responsibility and be accountable to deliver tasks on behalf of their organization or sector.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with a broad variety of groups and businesses.
- Communicate honestly and with diplomacy, and to deal tactfully in a public environment.
Salary: This is a salaried position. A benefit package is available after a 3-month probationary period.
How to apply: Please send cover letter including résumé and 3 references to: Brianna Beacom, Whistler Arts Council, firstname.lastname@example.org or PO Box 383, Whistler, BC V0N 1B0.
Application Deadline: Friday, March 21, 2014
We thank all who apply but only those short listed for an interview will be contacted.