The objective of this role is to contribute to the fulfillment of project work as a Consultant reporting to the Vice-President. In particular this role will focus on Collections and Facility Planning services as well as providing support for Management Consulting related projects for cultural institutions. We expect that your time will be devoted to Project Work (75%), Business Development, General Administration and Promotion (25%).
The function of Consultants is to contribute to project work and business development through the gathering and analysis of information and writing particularly in his/her area of specialization.
You will be responsible for completing research and analysis of the highest professional quality and communicating recommendations and findings in the form of written reports, visuals, and presentations. This work may be stand-alone (e.g. Facility Planning and Collection Analysis) or may be incorporated into larger studies such as Master Plans, Strategic Plans, Feasibility Studies and Implementation Plans.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Thinking strategically, analyzing complex museum and cultural facility-related situations, developing creative solutions as required;
* Evaluating collections and facilities and determining the adequacy of museum and cultural facilities to meet current and projected needs;
* Developing complex space lists in MS Excel or other programs;
* Graphic presentation of information such as adjacency and circulation diagrams;
* Conducting interviews, focus groups, and research by gathering and analyzing data and preparing synopses and summaries of studies, documents and interviews as necessary for but not limited to: Collection Analysis, Collection Development Strategies, Comparables Design, Facility Strategies, Functional Briefs (or Programs), Design Reviews, and Needs Analysis;
* Providing research and data collection support as necessary for but not limited to: strategic plans, master plans, feasibility studies, business plans, cultural plans, visitor studies, cultural policy, and heritage resource planning;
* Writing and/or drafting project deliverables and presentation materials;
* Acting as Project Manager on designated projects;
* Overseeing production of project deliverables including presentations;
* Delivering of project work ensuring that schedules and budgets are followed;
* Making presentations to clients; presenting findings and recommendations to clients;
* Ensuring high quality in all assigned projects and deliverables;
* Proofreading all materials submitted to the client;
* Other duties as assigned.
An important aspect of consulting is new business development, in which you will be expected to take an active role under the direction of the Director of Marketing and Client Relations. Specific areas of responsibility include:
* Promoting the Lord Cultural Resources brand, services, and products to prospective and existing clients;
* Preparation of responses for requests for firm information and reaching out to leads and potential clients through written and verbal communications;
* Leading the development of proposal submissions, including writing, developing budgets, proofreading and delivery in collaboration with the Project Team;
* Cultivating business to business contacts, relationships, and partnerships;
* Evaluating opportunities, and risks;
* Researching background information for leads and proposals and other opportunities;
* Searching for RFPs;
* Coordination of and assistance at trade shows;
* Presenting at conferences and professional development forums;
* Prospect development and sales;
* Other duties as assigned.
GENERAL ADMINISTRATION AND PROMOTION
* Administrative tasks such as responding to information requests, research on museums and cultural Institutions, and completion of timesheets;
* Assistance in planning and execution of office events and conferences, and, as needed, attendance at other promotional/cultivation opportunities such as openings;
* Professional development that will further your personal knowledge and credibility, such as writing articles and speaking engagements;
* Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate must be a motivated, committed and adaptable team player. You must be detail oriented, quality conscious, and have good time and project management skills. Other key qualifications include:
* Masters-level degree related to museum studies and/or other training related to collection management and/or combination of education and relevant experience;
* 3-4 years’ experience in a professional capacity of a related field;
* Hands on experience working with collections in a public museum or cultural facility preferred;
* Experience writing Collection Analysis, Collection Development Strategies, Comparables Design, Facility Strategies, Functional Briefs (or Programs), Building Systems and Standards Design Reviews, and Needs Analysis would be an asset;
* Exposure to and experience related to architecture technology including working with current technology such as CAD, VectorWorks, GIS, and Adobe Creative Suite would be an asset;
* Demonstrated experience in spatial problem solving in the context of museum building spaces;
* Proficient in MS Office Applications, including advanced experience with MS Excel and MS PowerPoint;
* Ability to communicate and understand information exchanged between clients, architects and engineers;
* Proven research and analytical skills, ability to analyze qualitative and quantitative data, identify trends and support recommendations;
* Familiarity with Lord Cultural Resources’ methodologies and/or willing to excel in them - The Manual of Museum Planning, 1991. 3rd Edition 2012, The Manual of Museum Management, 1997. 3rd Edition 2002, The Manual of Museum Exhibitions, 2nd Edition 2014, The Manual of Strategic Planning, 2007, The Manual of Museum Learning, 2007;
* Excellent strategic thinking and problem solving skills;
* Exceptional written and oral communication skills in English required (additional languages , such as Arabic, French, Spanish an asset);
* Ability to work independently and in a team setting on a number of projects simultaneously in an integrated work environment and be well organized;
* Willingness to travel;
* A genuine interest in the culture, museums and the arts.
If you are an exceptional individual and enjoy working in a fast paced dynamic environment please forward your application including cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com with the subject line “[Your Name] – Consultant” before July 31th, 2014.
We are an equal opportunity workplace and welcome cultural diversity in our workforce.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.