The AGO is a centre of art-based education, exhibitions, gallery tours, dining, and retail that is committed to delivering an incredible experience to our visitors. If you are seeking a dynamic, multi-faceted work environment and would like to contribute to the Gallery’s success then bring your skills and experience to the internship position of
Youth Programs Intern
December 8, 2014- June 15, 2015
Role: In partnership with the Michaëlle Jean Foundation and the Environics Institute, one (1) intern will assist AGO Youth Programs & AGO High School Programs staff to research and develop materials and project planning for the Black Experience Project- 4th Wall 2015.
About the project: The 4th Wall GTA project is an interdisciplinary grassroots arts and research project focused on using the arts to make the invisible experiences of Black youth visible by raising awareness about and developing solutions to the challenges and opportunities they face in the GTA. It will:
• Provide a national platform for Black youth, aged 15 to 30, from GTA to speak out on issues facing their community.
• Empower young artists to lead a citywide conversation on building lasting solutions to challenges facing the GTA’s Black communities.
• Learn about, research, develop and organize targeted public programming outreach strategies
• Assist in the execution of public programming events • Establish partnership opportunities through outreach
• Develop and evaluate public programs proposals
Our Ideal Candidate:
• Extensive experience working with or within the African Diasporic communities
• Demonstrated experience working with community-based projects with a collaborative work process.
• Demonstrated experience (minimum 1 year) working and/or volunteering in youth programs
• Strong communication skills, including writing and speaking
• Can work effectively in teams
• Effective time management skills and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Ability to be flexible, adaptable, and self-reflective
• All applicants will be required to be enrolled in a post-secondary or graduate educational program or course in order to be considered;
• The successful applicant will be required to coordinate the approval of a completed Work / Education Agreement Form provided by the Ministry of Education from their educational institution. • The learning objectives of this position relate to the school program or course you are currently registered for.
• You will not be paid for your time.
• This internship will receive a stipend of $10,000 over the 7 months of the internship
We invite individuals who reflect the diversity of our visitors to apply. Visit our website at www.ago.net/jobs and complete your online application profile by November 30, 2014. If you are including a cover letter, please address this to: The Hiring Manager.